Friday, January 2, 2009

{The Word}

Since I've commited myself to studying God's word faithfully this year, I thought I'd look up some verses and quotes. Here are some of the quotes I found.

Reading the Bible without meditating on it is like trying to eat without swallowing. –Anonymous

Some people like to read so many [Bible] chapters every day. I would not dissuade them from the practice, but I would rather lay my soul asoak in half a dozen verses all day than rinse my hand in several chapters. Oh, to be bathed in a text of Scripture, and to let it be sucked up in your very soul, till it saturates your heart! --Charles Haddon Spurgeon

The word of God hidden in the heart is a stubborn voice to suppress.-Billy Graham

Beware of reasoning about God’s Word - obey it.
- Oswald Chambers

Make knowledge of the Scripture you love … Live with them, meditate on them, make them the sole object of your knowledge and inquiries.
- Jerome

Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right. - Billy Graham

I especially like the one that says " nobody ever outgrows scripture". Having been in church my whole life I sometimes feel like the Word has become more of a familiar acquaintance rather than a close friend. I can quote scriptures but haven't really let them sink in deep and transform my thoughts. I don't let them wash me.

Some verses....

"He sends forth his word and heals them and rescues them from the pit and destruction." -Psalm 107:20

"The entrance and unfolding of your words gives light, their unfolding gives understanding (discernment and comprehension) to the simple." -Psalm 119:130

Hebrews 4:12
For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the [breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

Jessica, I am so glad to know about your blog. Your pictures are AMAZING!!! And I really love this post. Certainly, studying the Word more diligently is always something I am striving for. I really like that first quote. It struck me.

As far as Francine Rivers books...you can't go wrong with any of hers. But the one you have to run out and get is called Redeeming Love! It's my all time favorite book. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th favorite books is a serious of hers called the Mark of the Lion series. You will love it. Let me know what you decide on. Hope this helps!